Fiona Daly

Fiona Daly





I am an Irish textile designer maker and artist. Having studied at Kunsthogskolen i Bergen, Norway and the National College of Art and Design, Ireland, I graduated with a BA(Hons) in History of Art and Design and Textile Design (Joint Course Studies).
My current Craft practice is concerned with Constructed Textiles and Traditional Textile techniques, Weave and Handspinning in particular. I also work in knit and crochet, all with a strong emphasis on the handmade. I am fascinated by traditional textiles and their heritage and feel strongly about maintaining these skills in today’s society. In my practice, I use natural fibres and materials, mainly wool, along with reused materials sourced as locally as possible. I also use natural dye techniques, particularly on my homespun yarns, to produce natural local colours in my work, such as lichens, seaweed and onion skins. My practice ranges from conceptual installations to Fashion Accessories to Homewares. 
My practice has led me to travel and work in several unique places - Shetland Islands, UK; Canada; Clare Island, Ireland; Bergen, Norway; Edinburgh, UK. I am strongly inspired by these experiences and feel this feeds through in my work. 
In 2012, I was awarded post of Weaver-in-Residence at ASF Shetland (the Ann Sutton Foundation) - a textile research and education centre, dedicated to sustaining and promoting the local weave heritage in the Shetland Islands, UK. The images above show my final blanket collection from this residency.